Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 62 - Almond-Quinoa Muffins

Almond-Quinoa Muffins

Well, no one's going to confuse this with a coffee shop muffin. It definitely screams "Healthy!" That said, it comes together quickly, and it boasts a mere 1/4 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup) as its sugar quotient.

As usual, I've used half all purpose flour and half whole wheat pastry flour, as I've had great luck with this ratio in the past. I also happened to have red quinoa on hand, which I&T say looks "particularly charming here." See for yourself. :-)

The only quibble I have with this recipe is that it says to pour the batter into the muffin cups. There is nothing pourable about this batter. It is so thick, it can only be spooned. 

And in the typo department, the directions refer to adding baking soda, which is not in the ingredient list. Hmmm... missing ingredient or typo in the directions? I think I may have found an official (could this be the Terry?) response to the question here, which is: just use baking powder.

These muffins don't really brown, so determining doneness is a little tricky. My toothpick was dry at 20m, but I let them go a little longer, and I think they could have gone longer still.

The finished product is moist, just slightly sweet, and has that health-food-y quinoa taste. It's not bad. It's just not the dessert-y cupcake muffin we've become accustomed to in recent years. I like the almond undertaste. According to this nurtition website, this muffin has 114 calories, made up of 7g fat, 13g carbs, and 2g protein. Not bad! Maybe I'll have another....

SFO: 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment