Friday, January 18, 2013

Day 30 - Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple and The Mocha

30 Day Check In!!
I think it's going very well. There have been very few disasters (only one, actually) and a lot of great food and exciting discoveries. I'm really excited to be on this journey, and I'm happy to report that as of today, I've completed 42.5 of the 313 total recipes. (FYI, the half is the Roasted Portobello Mushrooms that I need to redo.)

Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple 

The title of this dish is perfectly descriptive, but it can't communicate how amazing it tastes. This recipe includes the preparation of homemade ancho chile powder, which is fun! I've ground up toasted chiles before, but I love the way I&T turn it into an event. And it really adds so much flavor to the soup!

I used half vegetable broth and half water, and I also added about a half cup of the optional extra cup of water before blending. Incidentally, my lentils took another ten or so minutes beyond the book's suggested time.

This is one of those soups that you can't appreciate until it's all come together. Once the lime juice goes in and you've blended it and you're tasting for salt, you can tell it's a special soup, but wait: the thing that really sends it over the moon is the grilled pineapple. A spoonful of this soup together with a bite of that fruit is heaven. Marcy agrees.

SFO: 10

(It's not the lentil soup your grandmother made, but it's amazing, so just eat it, will you?)

The Mocha 

Here's my second ice cream sandwich, The Mocha, incorporating the Chocolate-Chocolate Chip-Walnut Cookies and Coffee Ice Cream which is then rolled in chocolate sprinkles.

Great idea, great combo. The only place where it disappoints is in the lackluster coffee flavor and icy texture of the ice cream. But as it melts, the texture improves, and the flavor, while not spectacular, is fine. 

Marcy, in a rare moment of dessert indulgence, actually eats one! (Note: check out the engagement bling on her hand!)

SFO: 9

(A 10 in concept, but I'm still cranky about the ice cream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment