Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 31 - Not-Tella

Not-Tella

In anticipation of my god-daughter Samantha's arrival (!), I thought I'd give this recipe a shot, as she has a mild (oh, who are we kidding?) extreme obsession with the "real" thing, Nutella. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my hands on soy milk powder so I made the dark chocolate version. 

Survey says: good, but NOTHING like Nutella. 

First of all, I&T instruct us to only pulse the food processor, but I'm here to tell you, this recipe requires the food processor to go constantly, and for a while, and even then, you end up with a gritty texture. That's the big difference here, the texture, which is nothing like the creaminess of Nutella. It's more like a paste.

Samantha got in late last night, and I made her taste it. She likened it to the texture of the red bean filling in Chinese and Japanese dessert items. Very astute. And accurate.

Even though we agree that it's not very Nutellian, I'm thinking we're going to have to try it in a crepe while she's here....

SFO: 9

(It's safe for anyone. Just don't sell it as Nutella. Bill it as chocolate hazelnut paste.)

No comments:

Post a Comment