Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 64 - Chestnut-Lentil Paté, Saffron-Garlic Rice, Chickpeas Romesco,and Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles

Remember when Judith and Ryan were supposed to come over and Judith got sick and only Ryan came?

Well, this is that dinner, rescheduled!

No Chinese theme this time, though. We're in the realm of Spain now. But first, I have to use up the rest of my Costco chestnuts....


Chestnut-Lentil Paté

Exactly as I&T described, this spread has a sweet and woodsy taste. To look at it, you'd think you were getting a sort of hummus, but then the taste of chestnuts takes over the experience, and the lentils are really just a background binder. I followed the serving suggestion of Melba toast and sliced tomato, the acid of which really helped balance out the sweetness and creaminess of the spread. And now as I'm reading the recipe again, I'm noticing the suggestion of adding a sprinkle with salt, which I think I would have appreciated if I had caught it at the time.

Ryan and Judith loved this. I thought it was OK. But again, not a huge chestnut fan.

SFO: 9 
(one point off for the foreignness of chestnut flavor)


Chickpeas Romesco

I've never made a Romesco sauce before, but I'm fascinated by the concept - creaminess via ground almonds. Unfortunately for me, another key ingredient in a Romesco is the dreaded red bell pepper. Alas, what's a pepper-hater to do? Just make it and shut up.

Another first here for me was fire-roasted tomatoes. It's an interesting twist on your regular canned tomatoes, a little taste of char. 

As usual, this recipe is easily made and has great flavor. Even with my profound hatred of pepper flavor, this sauce is so balanced and nice that I was going back for seconds.

SFO: 9 
(one point off in honor of those who want a "there" there)


Saffron-Garlic Rice

For me, this was the highlight of the meal! So much flavor! And pretty too! They say the toasted almonds are optional, but I completely disagree. They are mandatory! I loved the big hit of garlic too. And frankly, I thought the saffron component was a little stingy. If I make this again, I might amp that up...

SFO: 10


Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles 

This recipe comes in the brunch chapter, but I thought it was a viable candidate for dessert. And it was! No need for toppings, we just ate these plain!

The batter for this is so thick, you're not really pouring it into the waffle iron, it's more like you're spooning it and spreading it out. My waffle iron is shaped to make four squares, but these waffles come out more like big circles because the batter just doesn't flow to the corners. No matter, they were still amazing. Not too sweet, which I like, although sweet dessert purists might appreciate some kind of sauce or sugar topping.

SFO: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment