Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 16 - French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme

French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme

Bold assertions are made in the introduction to this recipe. "This is the last lentil soup recipe you will ever need" is the first. And it goes on from there.

To me, lentil soup is one of those things that's hard to mess up. If you assemble the standard ingredients with even the minimum cooking know-how, you will end up with a decent soup. Obviously, this soup is better than decent. But is it definitive? Is this the lentil soup that marks the death knell of that new hit Food Network series, America's Next Top Lentil Soup? Who can say, other than the judges from America's Next Top Lentil Soup.

I&T, I appreciate your quirky sense of humor in the prose portions of this book, so I'm not going to belabor the point. It's a very good soup. The tarragon is an unexpected and welcome touch. And French lentils have always been my favorite form of that legume. So I'm a fan. The King of Pants liked it too.


SFO: 10

PS I made that loaf of Whole Wheat Rustic Italian Bread from this amazing Cooks Illustrated recipe. Time-consuming, but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment