Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 2 - Shredded Parsnip and Beet Salad in Pineapple Vinaigrette

Shredded Parsnip and Beet Salad in Pineapple Vinaigrette

My dear friend (and "the most talented person in the world") Vicki was coming over for lunch today, and since she's in rehearsals to play the Fairy Godmother in the upcoming revival of Cinderella, she's being very "good" about how she's eating, and so I needed a nice, clean dish to serve her. Enter this salad.

It's not only vegan, it's raw! Which, truth be told, is meaningless to me. I mean, I like fresh food, including raw vegetables, but a food's lack of having been heated above a certain temperature has never been a draw. I have been to Quintessence, and they do some pretty amazing things with raw stuff that could fill their own series of cookbooks. But that's just not my platform...

But I could make a platform out of this salad! As I&T say right at the beginning of the recipe, "this salad is magical." Fruity and earthy and healthy and delicious! The worst thing I can say about it is that if you use red beets, which I did, it is a good bet that the clothing dye salad dressing will stain at least something along the way. The salad dressing recipe starts with two cups of pineapple juice, so you can imagine how much liquid we're talking about when all is said and done. So maybe yellow beets next time....

But oh, what a salad! I ignored I&T's serving suggestions, which are good ones, and just plopped it on a plate for Vicki. And she was so rhapsodic and obsessed with the salad that I happily sent her home with most of the leftovers. I forgot to ask her to weigh in on the SFO rating, but that's probably best, because I'm guessing she would have had no objectivity about it, screaming "55! 55!"


SFO: 9

(As great as this salad is, I think the color and the freshness/rawness could be scary to a hardcore vegephobe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment