Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 104 - Almond-Anise Biscotti

Almond-Anise Biscotti 

I was going to a party and I thought, what can I bring from the book? And since this group was celebrating a trip we had taken to Italy, this was an easy pick!

As with every recipe in this book where there's an option to substitute whole wheat pastry flour for white, I opted for a half and half mix. My guess is that using all whole wheat flour would really skew the results, but could I get away with a recognizable biscotti with a 50/50 blend?


Survey says: yes! 

The one factor that is really off in the recipe is the baking time for part II. (And maybe part I could have been extended too.)

I did the first bake for the suggested 28 minutes, and the dough was still somewhat soft, even after the cooling period. Hence, my slices were not easy and/or perfect. But workable.

Then, for the second bake, after 12-15 minutes, they were nowhere near ready. Some pieces went for almost twice that long. I definitely recommend turning them for even crispness and keeping an eye on them, since as they near doneness, they can tip over into overdone relatively quickly.

The whole wheat flour makes these a little drier and crumblier than an all-white batch, but these are qualities you'd expect in a biscotti, so they're not unwelcome. The flavor is great, and as long as you cook them long enough, so is the texture.

SFO: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment