Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 162 - Greek-Style Tomato-Zucchini Fritters with Fresh Herbs and Mediterranean-Style Cashew-Cucumber Dip

Greek-Style Tomato-Zucchini Fritters with Fresh Herbs

This is not an easy recipe, but it is definitely worth the effort! Even with my mistakes, it still delivered a pretty yummy result.

My big mistake had to do with liquid removal. You're basically dealing with a lot of liquidy things, like chopped tomatoes, grated zucchini, and tofu. And if you don't drain them really well, I mean REALLY well, you're going to end up with an overly wet batter. Which I did. Which is not ideal when you're about to roll it in bread crumbs and fry it.

That said, they held together, and even though they were quite soggy, they were really delicious. 

I also tried baking a few to see if I could improve the situation, but no, the batter was just too wet to ever be crispy.

If you make these, don't give up until you've gotten every last drop of water out of the tofu, tomatoes, and zucchini. You will be rewarded, I'm sure!

SFO: 9
You'd never know there was any tofu in here, the other flavors are so vibrant!


Mediterranean-Style Cashew-Cucumber Dip

This is a perfect accompaniment to the fritters! Again, there's  water removal, this time from the cucumbers. I love the whole concept of using cashews for creaminess. And it's quite effective, although one issue I have with this dip is that upon sitting, it tends to separate a bit, i.e. creamy patches and watery patches.

As I&T say, it's delicious enough to serve on its own with pita bread, but with the fritters, it's heaven.

SFO: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment