Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 252 - Mole Skillet Pie with Greens

Mole Skillet Pie with Greens

It's Mole Week! I'm knocking out all the Chile-Chocolate Mole recipes in a row!

This is a fun and easy stick-to-your-ribs meal. I never make stuff like this! And I can't believe Helen, who's usually such a health-conscious eater, picked this from a list of much good-ier things I offered her. I think there may be something irresistible about the name and the concept, i.e. cornbread cooked in a skillet over mole smothered greens and beans.

I went with pinto beans, because they seemed the most... um... mole-y. And I used my 8 inch cast iron skillet. Now, I should mention, that 8 inch skillet looks like it's not going to be able to accommodate this whole concoction, but the truth is, it's the perfect size, so don't be scared.

Yet again, we have an undersalting issue here - you should definitely salt the veggies to taste before you put the cornbread on top. The cornbread itself is a little light on flavor, so you definitely want to have the extra sauce on the side for serving - it needs it!

The ratio of bread to veggies here is a little slanted to the bread side, so this may be better positioned as a side dish, i.e. more like a flavored bread than an entree pie. It's yummy and it comes in a fun package, but the star here, again, is really the sauce.

SFO: 10
As long as you aren't expecting any meat, you should be very satisfied.


No comments:

Post a Comment