Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 74 - Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes and 5-Minute Mango Chutney

Sue's here! She's such a good friend and easy-going eater. She came over once and tried some of my not-ready-for-prime-time food inventions, and she was so sweet about it.... Hopefully this will make up for that.

Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes

This is in the Snacks, Appetizers, Little Meals, Dips, and Spreads chapter, but I'm not clear which category it falls into, because these are Hearty with a capital H! I decided we would have a little Indian feast and that these would be the main attraction, and now I can't imagine serving them as anything but entree or side dish. I went with I&T's suggestions 100% and served them with Sautéed Spinach and Tomatoes and the chutney below. 

One good thing about this recipe is that you can pre-bake the potatoes the day before, which I did, letting them get to room temperature before starting the scooping out process. After that, it's pretty easy to put these together. I love the old Indian fried seed technique.

Here's a picture Sue took of me with the assembled potatoes about to go in the oven!

These are so filling and delicious! Two potato halves make for a very satisfying meal. Sue thinks that they are totally safe and friendly for all eaters, but I'm going to take a point off for this entree version, in honor of those omnivores who think the main attraction needs to have a protein presence.

SFO: 9



5-Minute Mango Chutney 

I appreciate that I&T acknowledge the inauthenticity of this recipe. It doesn't really resemble any classic chutney that I've had, which is not to say it doesn't taste great, especially with these potatoes. Mine came out rather watery, which was the biggest difference from the thick, marmalade-like chutney I'm accustomed to. I expected the asafetida to overwhelm the dish, but with this small amount, it's just an interesting background flavor. 

While this is a nice and relatively simple recipe, I think if I'm going to go to the trouble to dice a mango, grate ginger, mince garlic, and chop a jalapeño, I'd just as soon add all the other ingredients and cook it long enough to have a "proper" chutney.

SFO: 10


PS Sue was very happy with yesterday's Wheat-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies! Two thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. Those really are delicious! I made them last night...although I didn't have russet potatoes (just red ones). I didn't have much time so I cut the potatoes into small cubes and cooked them on the stove. This meant I had no potato to stuff them into but it was just fine. An Indian friend of mine showed that I can put some tamarind concentrate with jaggery sugar together on the stove and cook until sugar melts. Tastes just like the tamarind in the restaurant. It's truly a lovely recipe. Glad to see someone writing about it here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete