Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 89 - Tomato-Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans

Tomato-Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans

This recipe makes a TON of soup!


It really doesn't get much more stripped down than this barebones recipe. The only labor intensive part of this prep is dicing an onion and roasting a couple of garlic bulbs. Otherwise, you're just dumping mostly canned ingredients into a pot and stirring.

And that's pretty much what it tastes like. I mean, there's nothing offensive about this soup, but I'm glad I wasn't serving it to a big group. Maybe the quality of the soup rests on the quality of the canned tomatoes, and mine weren't up to snuff (although I should mention my personal food bible, Cook's Illustrated, recommended the brand I used).

One disappointment with this soup is the way the rice performs. Again, maybe basmati wasn't the best match here, but it was the long grain brown rice I had on hand. By the time the soup is cooked, the rice is completely blown out, so it resembles less rice than ground chicken or turkey.

The bigger disappointment is the overly acid taste of the soup. Here is where my cooking experience came in handy. I know that adding even a small amount of sugar to a tomato sauce can really cut the acidic taste, so for my second bowl, I tried adding just a pinch of sugar to the soup, and it totally worked! The soup was so much more palatable!

I added about a teaspoon to the leftovers, and I have to confess, eating it a day later, I'm enjoying it a lot more than my first taste yesterday. It's still not something I'll probably make again, but it's nice to know that there's a recipe in here for a big soup that's made up entirely of pantry staples. (Plus it's quite low in calories!)

SFO: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment