Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 92 - Pistachio-Rose Water Cookies

Pistachio-Rose Water Cookies 

If I didn't already have a nickname for Alysha ("Scary"), I would dub her "Rosey" because she does love a rose-flavored thing. When I taste roses, it brings me right back to my grandmother's bathroom, not something I care to think about when I'm eating. But when she tastes roses, she swoons. So whenever I'm cooking up a rosey something, I want her here.

These ingredients are easily combined. The fun part for me was rolling the dough into balls and then pressing them into the chopped pistachios. It's a very effective method of covering the tops of cookies with chopped nuts! (So basic, but I'd never done it before.)

As for cooking time, I've had my experiences with other Veganomicon cookies where I think I've undercooked them, but once cooled, they seem well-timed. In this recipe, I&T write: "Bake for 13 minutes; they will be soft but that's okay, they will firm up as they cool." So I thought, I'm going to override my concern that they will be underdone. I'm going to take them out at 13 minutes. 

Big mistake. They were significantly underdone. In the lead-in to the recipe, these cookies are described as "light and airy, chewy and crispy all at once." No, no, sort of, and no. In the future, I'll go by my friend Barbara's baked goods doneness radar: Can you smell them from outside the oven? Then they're done.

As for taste, they're actually pretty good. What seemed like an egregious amount of rosewater actually balances out nicely with the vanilla and lime flavors, and cardamom, which usually kills a sweet for me, exists peacefully in the background. 

That terrible aftertaste I've been complaining about I now think was caused by baking powder with aluminum. (I did a little googling to see if anyone else had the same complaints, and aluminum seemed to be a common culprit.) I switched baking powders, and so far, no aftertaste! Yay!

I should add that Alysha's a fan of underdone baked goods (see Rosewater Pound Cake episode), so these totally worked for her. And I'll bet if I had left them in another couple of minutes, I'd have been a fan, too.

SFO: 10
(even with my quibbles, there's nothing here to prevent an omnivore from maximum enjoyment)




No comments:

Post a Comment